Departments   /   Finance   /   Business Forms

Business Forms

Starting a Business


A West Virginia Business Registration Certificate (License) is required by the State for all businesses operating in the state. Applications are available at City Hall for a WV State License, online at or by calling 1-800-982-8297. The WV State Tax Department in Beckley is also available to assist you. They are located at 401 Neville St.


After receiving your WV Business License, you will need to apply for a City of Princeton Business License. This is required before you open. City Licenses are valid from July 1st to June 30th and must be renewed before July 1st each year.


Every business with a physical location in the city limits must obtain a Certificate of Occupancy before a City Business License will be issued. A Certificate of Occupancy will require two inspections. The first will be pre-construction and the second and final inspection will be done before the business opens. For more information on the Certificate of Occupancy, contact Code Enforcement Director Ty Smith at 304-487-5024 or Fire Chief Matt Mould at 304-487-5017.


All business conducted in the City is subject to Business and Occupation Tax. The B&O Tax is based upon gross sales/service. The tax is due and payable each quarter. Forms and additional information are available by calling the City Tax Auditor at 304-487-5027.


As on July 1st, 2017, all businesses that are required to collect the 6% West Virginia Sales Tax are also required to collect a 1% Municipal Sales and Service Tax. Please remit the total tax collected (7%) to the West Virginia State Tax Department. (City Code 786.02)

Once your business is up and running, you may want to consider a ribbon cutting ceremony. This type of event offers a new business an introduction into the community and favorable free publicity. For more information, please contact the City Clerk at 304-487-5093.

Phone Numbers You May Need

City of Princeton

City Clerk                               304-487-5093

Building Inspector                  304-487-5024

Fire Inspector                          304-487-5017

Garbage Collection                 304-487-5021

License & Tax Auditor           304-487-5027

Main Business Office             304-487-5020

Zoning Official                       304-487-5022


Appalachian Power                 800-982-4237

Frontier                                   800-921-8102

Mountaineer Gas                     800-834-2070

Princeton Sanitary                   304-425-3483

Suddenlink                              800-972-5757

WV American Water              800-685-8660

  • What type of license do I need?
    • We have several different license types, and it can be difficult trying to find the best one to fit your business. Here are some examples:
      • Special Store: Retail Shop, Consignment, Gym
      • General Store: Restaurant, Convenience Store
      • Professional: Doctor, Vet, Cosmetologist
      • Hawker & Peddler: Sales Person, Vendor at Event


If you have any questions, please call the License and Tax Auditor at 304-487-5027 or email

Business Forms:

City of Princeton License Application

Business and Occupation Tax Form

New Business Tax Incentive Application

Public Utilities Tax Form

Hotel/Motel Occupancy Tax Form